Royal Enfield Owners Club website banner

Retaining an age related number (UK only)

Important advice notes for retaining an original number or obtaining an age related one (UK only)

First and foremost, having a registration number on a machine with no documents is not proof that this number ever belonged to it. It is up to you to provide proof of entitlement, not the Club. We authenticate your valid claim as required by the DVLA.

Before claiming a ’lost‘ registration number or applying for an age-related one, please note that the scheme is only for vehicles which are complete and can be inspected as such when necessary. We may accept a photo of all the major components grouped together, if the machine is dismantled, but this is strictly at the dating officer’s discretion.

If you have an un-restored machine, it may well be worth seeking advice before you start the rebuild. The DVLA has a points scoring system in order to retain an existing registration or obtain an age related number. Whilst most points are awarded for the frame, enough of the other cycle parts need to look right for the year. If you ask first, you can be advised of any that will not pass muster. Whether the engine is the original is not too important, although it is best if it is still the correct type and capacity.

Asking first may well avoid an unnecessary refusal to validate your claim, as well as saving you money. Our dating officer is ”honour bound“ to apply this points system, and will not bend the rules in order that you avoid the dreaded Q plate on your glorified ”bitsa“.

We do not recommend that you insure the machine until you have all the necessary dating paperwork and the MOT certificate to hand (see below). Your insurers will issue a cover note against the frame number, but should there be any delay in the dating process, (the dating officer may be on holiday), some insurers are unhappy about issuing further cover notes without a registration number.

In order to register the machine, it will require an MOT certificate which will be issued on the frame number. This will subsequently have your registration number added by the DVLA, who will stamp it accordingly. You should not ride your machine to the testing station as it is not registered, but should take it in a van or on a trailer. If you have insured it first, and it fails the MOT, you may run out of time on the cover note before having it re-tested (see above).

If you ignore the advice above regarding insurance, or have not read it, do not blame the REOC or our Dating Officer for any problems arising.

We do recommend that, when you have all the paperwork and are ready to register your machine, you take everything to your local Vehicle Registration Office instead of mailing it to Swansea. If there is a problem, you will find out straight away and be advised what to do in order to correct it, if at all possible. If they are happy with your application, they may issue a number and tax disc there and then.

Last, and by no means least, even with your evidence verified by the REOC, whether you get to retain the number or are issued with an age related one is entirely up to the DVLA. If they refuse your application, the Club cannot enter into a dispute with them on your behalf.

Return to Machine dating

UK Registration recovery

If you have a Royal Enfield that is not recorded on the DVLA computer, you may be able to retain the original registration number, provided that it has not been re-issued.

In order to retain it, you will require one of the following as proof of entitlement:

  • Old buff or green logbook
  • Pre 1983 tax disc
  • Pre 1983 M.O.T. certificate

We would prefer that you retain your originals and submit authenticated photocopies, obtained from your local Vehicle Registration Office and stamped by them. This will avoid any risk of irreplaceable evidence being lost in the mail.

If you have none of the above, the Main Library of the area, or the Council that issued the registration number may still have the old records. We can advise which Council it was if you don’t know. Approach their archives section, as sometimes they are able to provide a photocopy of the entry showing the frame/engine number allocated to the registration number.

Request that they sign and stamp the document to prove authenticity and this can then be used as supporting evidence.

Please note that more often than not, however, these records will merely state that the number was allocated to a Royal Enfield.

A completed V765 form, obtainable at your local Vehicle Registration Office, is required and the relevant ”proof“ documents sent with it. We also require pencil rubbings of the frame and engine numbers, including any prefix letters, along with photos of both sides of the machine.

NB: Royal Enfield frame and engine numbers are very often not unique, which is why we require the pictures and rubbings. This also avoids any possible transcription errors, which could result in a wrong answer.

All the completed paperwork will be returned to you to deal with DVLA. Club members with a UK postcode should include a self addressed C4 envelope (it holds an A4 sheet unfolded) with sufficient stamps to cover a large letter up to 250gms (£1.20 from 30th April 2012).

A fee of £18.00 is required from non-members with a UK postcode and £20.00 from all others. Please see under Machine Dating for payment options and contact details.

Should an inspection of your machine be necessary, expenses will be charged accordingly, whether you are a member or not.

Please be sure to read all of the Important Advice notes thoroughly. They are intended to save you time, money and possible disappointment. If you do not read them and waste the dating officers time by asking questions already answered in the advice notes, you may not get a reply.

Return to Machine dating

UK Age Related Registration

If you cannot provide the necessary proof that the registration number on your vehicle belongs to it, or it does not have a number, you will have to accept an age related registration number.

If you have built the machine from various spare parts, you will need to send a completed V627/1 form in addition to the photos and rubbings.

A dating letter will (may) be issued for you to send to the DVLA along with the paperwork and payment they require.

Return to Machine dating

Indian domestic model imports

If you have privately imported (or purchased) a domestic market Indian built machine, we may not be able to help you in registering it here in the UK or even overseas.

We have no access to the Indian factory records and they have so far proved unwilling to help us in this matter.

The last Redditch built 350cc machine supplied to Madras (in kit form) that we can definitely date left the UK in 1964.

All Bullets supplied to Madras were stamped G2, even though this prefix was dropped for the UK and other export market models. Madras continued with this G2 numbering system, albeit adding EI numbers alongside. The G2 numbers were dropped and a B prefixed number was added alongside the EI number for a short period, after which the B prefix numbering system then continues alone.

We have not been able to ascertain in which years these changes took place.

If your bike has a G2 number higher than the last Redditch machine, has EI and B numbers or is one with a B prefix number only, it may not be possible to accurately date it as yet but we are working on this. Your request for dating could be declined if this is the case.

We understand that in 1982, the B number gained a numeric prefix that indicates the year of build. An alpha suffix was then added in 1990 and this gives the month. This should facilitate the dating of such machines, but numbers starting with 2B can still be 1982, 1992 or 2002. Domestic market models still used this numbering system until fairly recently as far as we are aware.

In India, there is a cottage industry restoring supposedly early machines, as people will pay an inflated price for them on the export market. This is easily done because of the ready availability of brand new spares, the bikes not being changed very much over a long period of time.

Any Indian paperwork that may come with such a machine will not be accepted by the DVLA here in the UK. It is assumed that this will apply in other countries with your respective vehicle licensing department. If we are unable to verify a year of manufacture, registration of your machine may be declined altogether, or in the UK you may be offered a Q plate.

If you are buying such a machine that has already been imported into the UK, and the vendor tells you registration is not a problem, ask them why they haven’t done it!!!

The DVLA points system also applies to these imported machines, and subtle changes in machine construction over the years can assist in determining the year.

Return to Machine dating